




I feel like January came and went in a flash. I don't remember the last time we were so busy except for maybe the first few months of the boys' lives. And it's not like we really did anything - it's just that we have two very busy little boys.
Of course you all know that January 2010 did not start off so wonderful for us. New Year's Day Graham got sick. So sick that I ended up taking him to the ER that night. Poor little dude lost almost a full pound in five days due to an upper respiratory infection AND ear infection. But I am happy to say that he made a full recovery and when he went back to the doctor for a check up, he was weighing in at 19 pounds and 15 ounces. Just four ounces shy of Killian. And that's with having to make up the pound he lost! Killian got sick too, not nearly as sick as Graham was but he had a wicked cough and I swear I was up to my ears in boogers, snot and wet wipes. Finally mid-way through January everyone was well again and then it all started to happen.
The boys learned how to crawl. And not just army crawl or slither around on their stomachs. I'm talking full on hands and knees moving and grooving getting to wherever they want to be. As excited and proud parents as we were, we were also simply scared and unexcited. It was bad enough when they no longer wanted to be confined to their bouncer chairs and swings. And then when they started to roll everywhere they wanted to go and then sitting up wherever and whenever. But the crawling . . . these boys tire us out. And it's not just about the places that they get to (and super fast I might add). I mean, Graham gets into our bedroom to chew on the dresser knobs in twenty to thirty seconds. And their newest favorite place to go? The doggy door. I mean, this doggy door is a sense of wonder and amazement for them. The dogs go in and out, they can stick their heads and arms in and out, they can even LICK the disgusting and dirty door flap. But as I was saying, it's not just about the places that they go - it's about the stuff that they find in these places . . . the stuff that they then proceed to put in their mouths. I'm talking ANYTHING! Jackets, chairs, hair ties, dust/hairballs. I still have the image of finding Killian and Graham in a corner with dust/hairballs smeared all over their mouths and cheeks seared into my head. Disgusting. Completely disgusting. and it doesn't matter how much we clean - they find them. Whatever there is to be found, no matter how small or hidden, they will find it.


And as if crawling wasn't enough, we've been blessed with pulling up to stand. Now this was very fun in the beginning (where is that sarcasm font when I need it?). After all, what the boys learned when pulling up to stand on the couches, tables, chairs, jumperoos and baby gates is that what goes up . . . must come down. And for a good two weeks these boys did not fall gracefully. And most of the time, they fell on their head. One week, Killian ended up with three or four different bruises on his face. But now it's gotten a little better. I say little better because, although they have learned to fall gracefully (on their butts or on each other), now they pull up on everything. So when we sit down and try to eat or do some work on the laptop or just sit and try to relax, here come two little grinning, drooling and grunting monsters, attempting to climb up our chairs and legs. Nothing is safe anymore. Remotes, coasters, drinks, Jerry and Batman. These two little monster dudes now have complete control over the house and the four of us battle-weary Byrds (Batman and Jerry included), do not stand a chance at ever having a peaceful moment again.





So those are our two big milestones that happened in January. A little update on what's going on right now? Killian has THREE top teeth growing in at the same time. I think I see one of Graham's growing in and he shows all the signs of teething. Unfortunately with him you can never really know it's happening until a tooth has broken through - which is opposite of Killian. The boys take steps here and there while holding onto things. They love to stand up in their cribs, talk to each other and chew on the cribs. They really think it's the best thing in the world to be able to actually see each other and interact while they are supposed to be taking a nap. I feel like we are in for some double trouble with these two.
We also got a new car! It's very exciting and beautiful and has FOUR doors. I don't know how we made it ten months with twins in my little two door Focus but we did and now we are loving having a family car that has tons of space and seems as if it was made for us. The weather here has been gloomy lately so we haven't been able to play outside :( The boys are doing great with finger foods and we've been trying to give them all healthy foods. They even started eating cheese sandwiches and NO allergic reaction from Killian. The boys talk A LOT and one of their favorite parts of the day is bath time. Ours too! Killian loves to dance and shake his head to the music. I think he learned this from watching me dance all the time to make them laugh. Graham just thinks I'm crazy.



All in all we have had a pretty amazing and busy month. We are looking forward to planning and having the boys' first birthday party here in a few months. It will be Saturday April 3rd, 2010 at 12pm at our house in Austin. We want everyone to feel free to come and celebrate with us a very HUGE milestone in their lives and our own.
This post has left me laughing out loud at all these new things the boys are doing! Laughing out loud because I see it at my house too. However, the boys licking the doggy door is freaking hiarious! They are getting so big and even though we have to miss their B-day party I am still going to try and come see you all this summer. It'll be fun!
ReplyDelete